-->

Also check out my Twitter and Facebook pages!

www.rachelkjohnson.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Make it a Job

Picture Credit: http://www.teenwriters
bloc.com/tag/writing-goals/
When I say to make writing a job, I don't mean that it has to be drudgery--if you hate writing then you're trying to break into the wrong business. But if you only write when you feel like it or when you aren't busy then you won't write.

Set a time aside for yourself every day for when you will write. Also, set a minimum requirement for yourself of the amount of work you will get done every day. Then keep your appointment!


Some people say they will only write when they are feeling inspired. If that's the case, then I'd recommend feeling inspired on a very regular basis. Others say that if they are struggling with writers' block then they put it off for another day. The best way to get over writers' block is to push past it--consider it the brain's way of trying to get off being lazy.

I know from my own experience that if I let myself off the hook whenever I have writers' block by surfing the internet, playing computer games, or leaving my computer to do something else entirely, then I start having writers' block every time I sit down. I can also say that if I don't have a minimum amount of work I require of myself or a set time when I will work, it doesn't get done.


Looking at everything you must do to get your work ready for the publisher can be daunting, but if you will schedule time for yourself and use discipline to take it one bite at a time, it's amazing how quickly it goes and how rewarding it is watching your work improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment