|Picture Credit: http://www.searchquotes.com/search/Get_Going/|
As I have mentioned in the other postings in this series, I need to thank Shanna Beaman for much of the information I am going over. She is the author of the amazing books The Woman's Guide to Living Your Dreams and On Ramp to Your Future. Visit her website to learn more about her and the opportunity of having her present to your group. You can view her website here.
Step 5: Self-Promotion Online
- Maintain a Blog
- Regularly post on your own blog.
- Become a regular on other popular blogs to advertise your own blog to people.
- Join a blogging group that promotes and blogs about each other's books.
- Do a blog tour on friends'/aquaintences' blogs.
- Volunteer as a guest writer for blogs that use guests.
- Participate in social media such as Facebook and Twitter
- Start your own website
Step 6: Traditional Marketing
- Set Up Book Signings
- Small bookstores are particularly friendly to authors--especially local authors. They see book signings as a way to increase business whereas large bookstores are less likely to see your book signing as a benefit to themselves.
- Keep in contact with fans, other authors, agents, and publishers. You never know what opportunities may arise.
- Speaking Engagements
- Take any chance you have to get in front of an audience. Speak at a school, a writers' conference, or any other chance you get.
- Table at a Fair
- Set up a table for book fairs or even city fairs.
- City calendars and www.area-info.net will have information about upcoming fairs.
- Host a Radio Show
- Pay attention to job openings for radio shows that attract the right audience for your book. If you can get a job as a host you will gain radio fans, which are easily converted into book fans.
- E-publish Short Stories or Flash Fiction
- Treat these as marketing opportunities--make sure the quality is just as high as in your book.
- Price them low, or potentially free. You are not trying to make money off these if you are using them as marketing tools. They are a way to gain fans who are willing to buy your books.
- Join National Publicity Summit
- Join for free here.
- You will get daily marketing emails and the opportunity to participate in free online seminars.
- Every year they offer a seminar that you may purchase tickets for, but joining does not carry an obligation to attend this seminar.
Thank you for looking over my marketing suggestions. Good luck in marketing your book!